Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week One- Wohner on the Radio

And we're off! The Wohner on the Radio program launched this week. The studio hadn't changed much and the Christmas lights were on. It was an abreviated show due to Elon's big Family Weekend football game. (We won) But an hour is still a lot of time to make mistakes. Admittedly, I was rusty on the board and on some song transitions. But overall, it was a great show.
I was joined by Ryan Sweeney, WSOE program directorm halfway through the program. Ryan is a true fan on local Nort Carolina rock, and wasted no time getting his plugs in. A great point in the show was when he described his favorite underground concerts he'd seen over the summer and I commented my favorite was seeing Maroon 5. So perhaps I need to brush up on my local artists. We'll see.

Here was my playlist for the show along with some comments:
- Coldplay "Lovers in Japan" - How could I not start the year with Coldplay!
- The War "Satisfied" - Chapel Hill band I've seen a few times. Decent track that's listenable enough. Nice guitar work.
- Radiohead "Idioteque" - Radiohead's famous dance track about the end of the world.
- Weezer "Say it Ain't So" - Classic indie track.
- The Strokes "Is this it?"- Another classic track from NYC's finest.
- The Vines "Anysound" - Never heard of this band but glad I stumbled on it. High energy fun.
- The Slip "Life in Disguise" - Very pretty, laid back track with nice guitar work. Recommended listen.
- Bombadil "Johny"- Local North Carolina band that makes you smile. Think Decemberists at a corn maze.
- Ben Folds (feat. Regina Spektor) "You Don't Know Me" - My plug for my girlfriend, who loves this song. You got it, baby.
- Lost in the Trees "Fireplace" - Local band.
- Arcade Fire "Neon Bible" - Title track to Arcade Fire's critical successful album. Melancholy track. Arcade Fire is what British Sea Power should be.
- The Cranberries "Dreams"- Enough said. Brilliance.
- Silversun Pickups "Common Reactor" - My closing for every show and where I start screaming behind the pounding drums in the introduction.

Next week, we'll see who will be join me! And Sunday will be my first show with One on One, Elon's newest sports show. More on that later.

1 comment:

Rob Adams said...

Funny thing about The Vines, their lead singer has a form of autism. Second, British Sea Power are another U2 wannabe, and quite frankly, I don't see why anyone would want to be current U2.